Ten Mold Facts
Category : About Mold
Mold can get a bad reputation because when people hear or think of mold they usually think of a harmful fungus in their home that needs to be removed. Well, that mold does exist, there is also good mold out there. Mold is ubiquitous, it is found almost everywhere. Chances are, you have been in contact with some sort of mold more often than not! Mold is similar to bacteria in that it is found everywhere and although there is harmful bacteria, there is also plenty of good bacteria out there as well. Mold is an unknown phenomenon for most people so take a look at some of these mold facts to expand your mold knowledge!
Facts About Mold
- There are over 10,000 different species of mold!
- Long-term exposure to mold has been linked to a wide variety of health problems including sinus infections, headaches, cold/flu symptoms, and in serious cases, miscarriages.
- Bleach will not kill mold! Call mold removal experts if you have a mold problem.
- Organic materials can begin to see mold growth as soon as 24 hours after exposure to moisture.
- Exposure to mold has also been linked to asthma!
- Mold exposure and infestation within a home can greatly reduce property value and can even damage the interior structure and integrity of the home.
- Mold can grow on any organic material.
- Humidifiers increase humidity and moisture which mold thrives off of, so humidifiers can actually promote mold growth.
- Mold infestation in a home is almost always caused by moisture.
- Mold plays an important role in nature and is found on almost all organic matter outside.
Mold is a naturally occurring organism and even has many health benefits, penicillin was actually discovered from mold! Thank you mold! Again, there are also harmful types of mold and prolonged exposure to mold can be extremely detrimental to your health. If you see mold in your home or feel mold-related symptoms while in your own home, contact the mold specialists at BGS Environmental today and we’ll come take a look!