Mold Illness Symptoms
Mold can be a very dangerous substance, mold is everywhere, and though most of it is harmless, there are some types of mold that can be detrimental to your health. Like carbon monoxide, mold is a silent killer, it can go completely undetected, popping up in less traveled areas of your home, going undetected for who knows how long.
If harmful mold goes undetected for a long period of time, it can reduce the air quality in your home and expose you to toxins. There are some key symptoms of mold illness to be aware of because if you start to feel these symptoms, it might be time to call a doctor… and a mold remediation expert.
Symptoms of Mold Illness
Some common symptoms that may indicate you have been exposed to mold include:
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Cough and postnasal drip
- Itchy eyes, nose, and throat
- Watery eyes
- Dry, scaly skin
If you notice these symptoms, especially if they are elevated when you are indoors, or in a certain portion of your home. Basements are very common areas for mold growth because they are typically damp and moist. If the problem persists or goes untreated, there are health complications that could be caused by the prolonged exposure to harmful mold.
- Mold-induced asthma: Breathing in spores can trigger an asthma flare-up.
- Allergic fungal sinusitis: This results from an inflammatory reaction to fungus in the sinuses.
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis: This reaction to fungus in the lungs can occur in people with asthma or cystic fibrosis.
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: This rare condition occurs when exposure to airborne particles such as mold spores causes the lungs to become inflamed.
Mold Illness Treatment
Before doing anything, remove yourself from the affected area and call a mold removal specialist. If the problem is bad, consult a doctor. Take further mold prevention methods such as increasing ventilation within your home. Purchasing a dehumidifier, or install a Humidex ventilation system to improve your air quality hassle free! If you have a question regarding mold removal or indoor air quality, contact the specialists at BGS Environmental Services Inc. today!