Everything You Need to Know About Mold
Category : About Mold
We all know the distinctive smell and appearance of mold. These little fungi like to hang out on food or in places around a home that collect moisture, such as bathrooms, basements, and attics. But what exactly is mold?
It’s A Fungus
Mold is a type of single-celled fungus which grows in multi-cellular colonies. They extend filaments called hyphae and can grow in just about any environment.
Molds are one of the most diverse fungal species to exist and come in a wide variety of shapes, colors, and textures. They come in colors such as white, green, orange, and black accompanied by a fuzzy texture.
What Mold Does
The sole existence of mold is to biodegrade natural materials found in the environment. This of course poses a problem for humans when food or housing materials are concerned. Each species requires moisture in order to thrive, yet unlike plants they do not rely on photosynthesis — which is the process of harnessing sunlight in order to produce usable chemical energy in the form of sugars. Instead, molds survive by decomposing organic matter by releasing enzymes to break down the decaying matter.
The reason we often find mold in large quantities is because in order to reproduce, they release massive amounts of spores which are used in the reproductive process. Each type of mold has spores that are well adapted to a certain environment. The microscopic cells can easily cling to clothing or fur, making them easy to bring into a home and cause problems down the road for home owners.
The Problem With Mold
There are not many species of molds that can grow in temperatures at 39 degrees or below, which is why we refrigerate our food at this temperature. Unfortunately, mold can also stay dormant for long periods of time, which is why you may not have issues with mold in the winter but you suddenly see large colonies in the spring as temperatures rise.
Although some molds have been very beneficial to the human race (medicine, composting, and food production), most of the time it is an invasive problem for home owners. These fungi have been known to cause health issues such as respiratory problems. It is always a good idea to call a mold remediation expert if you suspect you have mold in your home.