Category : FAQ
There are thousands of different species of mold in the United States and a large percentage of these are harmless, it is hard for humans to differentiate harmless mold from mold species that are toxic. If you find mold in your home, it is important to diagnose what type of mold it is before remediating it to ensure it is properly removed from your home.
What is Toxic Black Mold?
Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as toxic black mold, is the most infamous of all the molds, can grow inside the home and is extremely dangerous to humans. Toxic black mold is known as “toxic” due to the toxins it produces, called mycotoxins.
Where Does Toxic Black Mold Commonly Grow?
Toxic black mold grows best in dark, moist environments and thrives off materials high in cellulose and low in nitrogen, making building materials it’s favorite place to grow.
Since it needs a lot of water over a period of time (8-12 days), toxic black mold typically grows after a water leak, hidden within your home. Finding it out in the open isn’t common.
What Does Toxic Black Mold Look Like?
Greenish black in color, toxic black mold typically has a wet top layer, giving it a slimy, gelatinous texture. If it’s water supply runs out, it will dry up and appear powdery.
Since numerous species of mold look similar to that of toxic black mold, the only way to differentiate it is through a microscope by a professional.
Toxic Black Mold Symptoms
The mycotoxins that are produced are what cause the symptoms of toxic black mold, which can oftentimes be confused with flu symptoms. Some symptoms include:
- Respiratory problems
- Skin inflammation
- Mental impairment
If you notice mold in your home or are suffering from questionable symptoms, give BGS Environmental a call today at (774) 226-5911 to assess the situation.